If you belong to a qualified health and fitness club for four months in a calendar year, we’ll reimburse you up to $150 for you or the dependents covered under your plan.*
Fitness reimbursement applies to monthly fees paid to a facility that provides cardiovascular and strength-training equipment for exercising and improving physical fitness, such as: health clubs and fitness centers; YMCA’s and YWCA’s; Jewish Community Centers; and municipal fitness centers. Qualifying facilities also include fitness studios/facilities that offer yoga, Pilates, Zumba, aerobic/group classes, indoor cycling/spinning classes, kickboxing, CrossFit, strength training, tennis, indoor rock climbing and personal training (taught by a certified instructor).
The following are not eligible for reimbursement: fees you pay for group classes or personal training outside of a fitness facility/studio, and health club initiation fees you pay for instructional dance studios, country clubs, social clubs (such as ski, riding or hiking clubs), spas, gymnastics facilities, martial arts schools, pool-only facilities, road race fees, sport camps, ski passes, sports teams or leagues, and school sports athletic user fees.
- To be eligible, you must be enrolled in a plan with fitness reimbursement through your employer or enrolled as an individual directly with Harvard Pilgrim. You'll be eligible after four months in the plan.
- Membership at a qualifying health and fitness facility must be for at least four months in a current calendar year (January – December) and must coincide with your Harvard Pilgrim membership. Qualifying facilities are subject to approval by Harvard Pilgrim.
- You can request reimbursement starting with May 1 of the current calendar year and when you have met all of the criteria listed above. (If you are enrolled through an employer that offers this program upon the annual enrollment/anniversary date, you will be eligible four months after the enrollment/anniversary date. For example: If your employer's enrollment/anniversary date is July 1, eligibility to request reimbursement begins no earlier than November 1 (as long as all other criteria is met, and that you are an active member).
- The subscriber must submit Harvard Pilgrim’s paper or online Fitness Reimbursement Form, plus all necessary receipts and a copy of the fitness facility contract, no later than March 31 of the following year.
- Reimbursement for most plans is up to $150 per calendar year, but that amount may differ for some employer groups. Check with your employer for more details.
- As long as all requirements are met, reimbursement should take up to eight weeks.
Apply by mail: Download the Fitness Reimbursement Form and follow the instructions
If you need help, call Member Services at (888) 333-4742.
* $150 maximum reimbursement per Harvard Pilgrim policy in a calendar year (individual or family contract). Must be currently enrolled in Harvard Pilgrim at time of reimbursement. If enrolled through an employer, available to the extent your employer has elected to offer this fitness reimbursement. Restrictions apply, and reimbursement is not available to all members. Certain employers will offer this program upon their annual enrollment/anniversary date. In these instances, you’ll be eligible four months after the enrollment/anniversary date. For example: If your employer’s enrollment/anniversary date is April 1, eligibility to submit for reimbursement begins no earlier than August 1 (as long as all other participation rules are met, including being an active member). For tax information, consult your employer or tax advisor.
Per the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, as of January 1, 2014, coverage for some small groups, and individuals who purchase plans directly from Harvard Pilgrim, includes fitness reimbursement that is different than the standard benefit. Please see your Benefit Handbook and Schedule of Benefits for details.