Effective January 1, 2017, Abbott Diabetes Care glucose meters (glucometers), test strips, and lancets will be Harvard Pilgrim’s exclusive diabetic testing supplies for the Medicare Advantage formulary. As of that date, Harvard Pilgrim will no longer cover diabetic test strips or glucometers made by manufacturers other than Abbott Diabetes Care.
In addition, the following quantity limits will apply:
- Test strips: 204 per 30-day supply
- Glucometers: 1 per 365 days
Diabetic testing supplies will continue to be covered at $0 cost share under our members’ Part B benefit. We offer 3 convenient ways for your patients to obtain their new glucometer:
- By phone: Call Abbott Diabetes Care at 1-866-224-8892 and provide the following offer code: 9RL20HTP
- Online: Visit the Abbott Diabetes Care website at www.choosefreestyle.com, choose their desired glucometer, select “Harvard Pilgrim Health Care” as their health plan and enter the following offer code: 9RL20HTP
- At their retail pharmacy: Bring a prescription from their provider for an Abbott Diabetes Care glucometer and test strips.
Harvard Pilgrim informed Medicare Advantage members using non-preferred diabetic testing supplies of these changes via letters sent on October 1, 2016.
To request an exception, contact Harvard Pilgrim’s Member Services department at 888-609-0692.