Beginning in January, in accordance with the Affordable Care Act, Harvard Pilgrim will offer electronic funds transfer (EFT) for our commercial HMO, PPO, and POS products, as well as our Medicare Enhance and Medicare Supplement products, to providers through PaySpan Health. PaySpan offers providers a self-service environment to manage their electronic payments, access associated 835 electronic remittance advices (ERAs), and review current or past PaySpan payments.
Providers who register with PaySpan can direct their payments electronically to a bank account and will receive their 835 ERAs and explanation of payment (EOP) for claims processed directly from PaySpan.* PaySpan users will no longer receive a paper EOP from Harvard Pilgrim.
Harvard Pilgrim will begin offering EFT for payments issued beginning January 3, 2014. EFTs will be processed every Friday. To receive electronic payments, you must register with PaySpan. Registration for Harvard Pilgrim providers (both those who are new to PaySpan and existing PaySpan users who must update their accounts to include Harvard Pilgrim) will open on or before December 31, 2013.
If you do not currently use PaySpan, you may obtain a registration code and PIN for creating an account on or after December 31st by calling PaySpan Provider Services at 877-331-7154 and selecting option 1 or by visiting www.payspanhealth.com. When you begin registering, please have your bank name, routing number, and account number handy. Step-by-step registration instructions are available on the PaySpan website.
If you are already registered with PaySpan, you will receive an email from Payspan in December notifying you that you will now be able update your existing PaySpan account to include Harvard Pilgrim. Once you receive this notice, you may update your account by:
- Logging in to your PaySpan account and click on the “Payment Invitations” window of your PaySpan Dashboard
- Reviewing the list of registration codes and locating the one with Harvard Pilgrim’s name next to it
- Checking the box to the left of the code you wish to add and clicking “Register”
- Selecting the account with which to associate the code
- Checking the box to agree to the service agreement
- Clicking “Register” and then “Close”
If you need assistance in adding Harvard Pilgrim to your PaySpan account, email email@example.com or call PaySpan Provider Services (877-331-7154, option 1).
Please note that enrollment becomes fully activated after 48 hours. Therefore, if you enroll on a Thursday, your first electronic payments would occur the following week, not the following day.
Health Plans, Inc. Also Offers Electronic Payment
Beginning January 1, Health Plans, Inc., Harvard Pilgrim’s wholly-owned subsidiary, is offering EFT and 835 ERAs through its partner Pay-Plus Solutions. Providers who participate in Health Plans Inc. products will also have ability to receive electronic payments via a credit card payment and an electronic scanned image of their paper EOP.
In December, Health Plans is piloting the electronic payment program and Pay-Plus will be contacting select providers to participate. The program will then be available to all Health Plans providers in January.
To sign up for electronic payments from Health Plans using ACH or credit card, please visit www.ppsonline.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Pay-Plus Membership Services at 1-877-828-8834.
* Note: EFTs and ERAs are available for claims processed on Harvard Pilgrim’s new claims processing system. Harvard Pilgrim will continue to issue paper checks for claims processed on our legacy claims platform. Harvard Pilgrim began migrating accounts onto the new claims system in 2011 and the majority of our accounts and members have been converted to the system. Conversions are continuing through the first half of 2014. Once all payments are being made from the new claims system, providers who are registered with PaySpan will no longer receive paper checks or EOPs in the mail from Harvard Pilgrim.