In September 2013, Harvard Pilgrim—in partnership with Castlight Health, a leader in health care transparency—will introduce a new online health care treatment cost estimator called Now iKnowSM.
Members can access Now iKnow through a secure login to obtain treatment cost and quality information including comparisons among participating providers, locations, and facility types. Designed to provide members with information to help them better understand and plan for potential out-of-pocket costs related to treatment options, Now iKnow will offer:
- Cost estimates that include three components—the total cost for the service, the amount paid by the health insurer, and the amount for which the member will be responsible.
- Costs measured at an episode level that will include not only the medical professional and facility costs, but also the services that typically comprise the treatment episode, such as costs for the initial office visit, specific procedures involved, typical tests, etc. The tool will also list services that are not included in the estimate (for example, anesthesia services for certain procedures).
- Cost data derived from aggregated provider-specific claims data for facilities and practitioners.
- Information about a provider’s tier for members enrolled in a Harvard Pilgrim tiered product.
- Quality information, including Harvard Pilgrim’s Honor Roll designation, Bridges to Excellence awards for physicians, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' quality outcome metrics, The Joint Commission’s measures for children’s asthma care, and Leapfrog’s pregnancy metrics.
Now iKnow will be available to the approximately 600,000 members in Harvard Pilgrim’s commercial HMO/POS and PPO plans. Another cost estimator tool, called myHealthcare Cost Estimator, is available to members enrolled in national plans offered jointly by Harvard Pilgrim and UnitedHealthcare.
Our Frequently Asked Questions document provides in-depth information about Now iKnow, including what kinds of services are included, the source of pricing information, and how frequently information is updated.
If you would like to access a demo of the tool, you can do so by logging into www.harvardpilgrim.org/nik. You may also call our Provider Service Center at (800) 708-4414 if you need further information.