To facilitate more timely and efficient recovery of claim overpayment amounts, Harvard Pilgrim is updating some of our negative balance and refund check processes for our commercial, Medicare Enhance, and Medicare Supplement members. Effective Feb. 1, 2018, we will begin moving some outstanding negative balances from a provider group/payee with no claims processing to another group/payee within the same provider organization (with the same TIN) that frequently has claims paid. By doing so, Harvard Pilgrim will deduct the negative balance amount from the other group’s claims paid amount.
New negative balance information will be included in the summary field on your explanations of payment (EOPs) and in the 835 provider level adjustment segments. Additionally, to make negative balance and refund information more easily accessible for our providers, Harvard Pilgrim has created two new reports — the Negative Balance Report and the Refund Report — both of which are downloadable as Excel files and are available via the Provider Analytics tool in HPHConnect.
Negative Balance Report
The new Negative Balance Report identifies claims associated with a negative balance, and records negative balance transfers from one payee entity to another. You can run the report for each payee in your provider organization using the date range that you select, and the report will include the provider name, address, TIN, and Harvard Pilgrim payee, as well as the following for claims associated with a negative balance:
- Claim number
- Patient account number
- Harvard Pilgrim rendering provider ID
- Member name and ID
- Date of service
- The reason the claim was adjusted and adjustment amount
- Offset amount
- The payment number associated with the claim adjustment
- The cumulative negative balance amount
The refund report identifies claims associated with a refund check sent by a provider and processed by Harvard Pilgrim. The report identifies when a full or partial refund was returned by a provider, as well as:
To assist you in using these reports, Harvard Pilgrim has created a Negative Balance Report User Guide and Refund Report User Guide. In addition, we have created this document on how to read the 835 provider level adjustments.
- Payee number (Harvard Pilgrim-assigned provider ID for the provider payment address)
- Payment number
- The check number and dollar amount of the refund check Harvard Pilgrim received from the provider
- The amount accepted on this remittance (Note: one refund check may be split among multiple payments)
- The Harvard Pilgrim claim number/s that the refund was applied to
- The member number or numbers of the Harvard Pilgrim members involved
- The patient account access number
- The date of service of the claim
- The amount of the refund check that was applied to the claim being referenced
- The amount of the refund check being returned to the provider, if any
- The balance still due after the refund check was applied to the claim
- More information
For any further questions on running these reports, please contact Harvard Pilgrim’s Provider eBusiness Services at 800-708-4414, or by email at Provider_eBusiness_Services@harvardpilgrim.org. Also, If you do not currently have an HPHConnect account, we encourage you to sign up by clicking on the registration page in the HPHConnect section of Harvard Pilgrim’s provider website and following the instructions.