We all need to eat healthy to be healthy, regardless of how old we are. But food isn’t just nutrition – it's smell, taste and a treat for the eyes. Cooking and eating is a big part of what makes us happy, and everyone, at any age, can and should fully enjoy this part of life.
Read our new publication:
Healthy, Delicious Food at Every Age
In 2016, the Foundation launched the Healthy Food for Every Age initiative to support non-profit organizations in Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire that help older adults eat healthier and stay connected to their communities.
As a start, the Foundation awarded $49,000, jointly, to Elder Services of the Merrimack Valley and the Healthy Living Center of Excellence in Mass., to train 80 Healthy Aging leaders to run 72 local workshops on cooking and eating for 615 staff who help seniors live an independent and enriched life. And they’re just getting started.
In May 2016, the Foundation awarded grants to 23 not-for-profit organizations for wheelchair accessible gardens, cooking lessons, grocery shopping, food preparation, meals shared among youth and older adults, and nutrition guidance for older veterans.
The organizations included:
- Bath Housing Development Corporation
- Falmouth Food Pantry, Falmouth and Greater Portland
- Good Shephard Food Bank of Maine; Androscoggin, Cumberland, Kennebec, Sagadahoc and
- SeniorsPlus, Lewiston
- Maine Spectrum Generations, Greater Hallowell
- Backyard Growers, Gloucester
- Bay Cove Human Services, Inc., Dorchester
Boston Senior Home Care,Randolph
Brookwood Community Farm, Mattapan and Blue Hills
Coastline Elderly Services, Inc., New Bedford and Fairhaven
- Enhance Asian Community on Health; Middlesex, Suffolk, and Norfolk Counties
- Lancaster Council on Aging, Lancaster
New England Veterans Liberty House, Lawrence
- Old Colony YMCA, Taunton
- Randolph Board of Health, Randolph
- Roxbury Tenants of Harvard, Mission Hill and Roxbury
The Open Door, Gloucester
- Wellspring, Inc., Hull
- Community Action Program Belknap-Merrimack, Allenstown and Suncook
- Granite State Independent Living, Manchester
- Salemhaven, Salem
- The Caregivers, Inc., Manchester and Nashua
- The Granite YMCA, Manchester
Read More About These Projects: